Wednesday 5 February 2014

Why I am not fighting Frank Okon - Leo Ekpenyong

Why I am not fighting Frank Okon - Leo EkpenyongWhy I am not fighting Frank Okon - Leo Ekpenyong

One of the Barristers that was debriefed by Engr. Frank Okon, Barr Leo Ekpenyong has given an insight into why he has refused to join AndemAndem, EyoUbuo and Rosemary Salami in fighting Frank Okon for the legal fee which AndemAndem and co are alleging 62million naira.

Ekpenyong in an interaction with our reporter on phone maintained that he has refused to join or be joined in the suit due to what he described as professional, ethical and personal reasons. He explained that they had agreed with Frank Okon that they will be paid on a contingency arrangement which implies that after they had won the case, it is then that they will be paid their legal fee. 

The university of Abuja law graduate believes that even if they have been debriefed by Engr. Frank Okon, it is not the end of the case noting that he has decided not to join or be joined in the suit. He denied vehemently that he has received some money from Frank Okon or any person acting onbehalf or on Frank’s capacity.

In his words, “ my world journalist, I want to clear the air on why I have decided not to join my colleagues, AndemAndem, EyoUbuo and Rosemary Salami to challenge Engr. Frank Okon at the court demanding for the payment of the legal fee for the services we offered to him. Frank Okon is in court according to him to reclaim his stolen mandate of the governorship of Akwa Ibom state. When he contracted us for services, we had an understanding that he was going to pay us at the end of the service when we must have won the case for him. We agreed that the money be paid on a contingency arrangement that is at the end of the case. Along the line, he decided to debrief us but the case is still on, it has not yet ended. 

However, since we had already agreed to the contingency arrangement in terms of the modalities of payment, I feel I should not join or be joined in the case. It is not that I have been bribed by any group of persons onbehalf of Frank Okon or by Frank Okon himself, no. I have refused to join and or be joined in the case because of professional, ethical and personal reasons. Even though I have a personal relationship with Frank, I have decided to hold myself and not joined or be joined in the case. I have also made it clear to my brothers and colleagues, AndemAndem, EyoUbuo and Rosemary Salami that while they are pursuing the case, if they win eventually, I will not be interested in the money (the legal fee) which is valued at 62million naira.”Leo Ekpenyong explained over the weekend.

Again to buttress his point and consolidate on his verbal discussion with THE INK, Leo Ekpenyong in a text message said, “ On grounds of professional ethics, integrity and good conscience, I choose not to be joined as a co-plaintiff in the suit against Frank for the recovery of legal fee. Into the hands of God I leave Frank Okon. And I wish him well in this struggle at the Supreme Court”

No comments:

Post a Comment