Wednesday 19 November 2014

Why I want to be Senator —Ekpe James

Why I want to be Senator —Ekpe James
The Executive Chairman,  Ibesikpo Asutan Local Government, Apostle (Dr.) Ekpe James, has averred that there is a  huge lacuna in the representation of Uyo Senatorial District.

According to the council boss, “the people of Uyo Senatorial district have suffered total neglect in terms of oversight and representation which are germane responsibilities of a lawmaker anywhere in the world, and can I assure my people of a very robust, resounding and people-oriented representation post 2015”, Apostle James boasted.

Exchanging views with our reporter over the weekend in Uyo, the State capital, Apostle Ekpe James, who recently bought and submitted his Peoples’ Democratic Party form to contest 2015 Senatorial District election, promised to make people empowerment his focus and sponsor laws that would better the lives of all and sundry in Uyo Senatorial District.

The Ikot-Udo-Ekop in Ibesikpo Asutan born agric economist-cum-politician said his mission to the National Assembly in 2015 is to send poverty, hunger to hell and drastically reduce the rate of unemployment in Uyo Senatorial District through massive empowerment programmes.


He also promised to sponsor bills that will impact the lives of the people, adding that apart from initiating bills , he would also attract the presence of the National Assembly to Uyo Senatorial District which would enable them see things dispassionately and give quick assent to his bills .

“I am rock-solid on ground. I was born and brought up here and I have lived my entire life with my people. I know how it feels when someone is hungry because Ekpe James you’re seeing today has seen it all. I have been a hawker; roaming the streets of Uyo and its environs with groundnut on my head. I have sold banana in the streets just to make ends-meet. There’s an aphorism that goes this way: he who wears the shoes knows where it pinches. So, as someone who was exposed to these penury and hardship, I think I’m in a better position to tackle it squarely. So, it is high time for our people to vote for credible and competent aspirant that can deliver the goods and give them quality representation at the National Assembly and without trying to be immodest, Ekpe James is the person.”he stressed.

Apostle James who said his achievements as a Council boss speak volume recalled that since assumption of office, he has made it like a yearly ritual to assemble his people and give account of his stewardship. 

“December year before last, I doled out over N12million worth empowerment, 700bags of rice to Ibesikpo Asutan people just to tell them thank you for having sent me to the council to man the affairs there. I also made other mouth-watery donations.

“seventy eight beneficiaries, each from the seventy-eight villages of Ibesikpo Asutan comprised market women, various artisans and even members of other political parties, went home with N100, 000.00 each to learn trade or improve on their existing businesses... so far, I have given out 16 brand new cars to the people of Ibesikpo Asutan to facilitate their easy movement. I have also constructed a state-of-the-art Council Secretariat, first of its kind ; which has convenience in each of the offices and canteen”.
While highlighting his administration’s achievements, Dr James said the council under his watch has made tremendous efforts in the areas of education, road and drainage construction, youth’s development, and women empowerment since assumption of office.

Stressing that ability to touch lives of people is a special gift God has given him, the Uyo Senatorial District hopeful emphasized that he will ensure that he make no fewer than 500 millionaires in his 4 year term as a Senator.
“The elders and party leaders are quite aware of my person , “ Apostle James added .

No comments:

Post a Comment