Tuesday 19 May 2015

Between the bastard and the rich man

Between the bastard and the rich man
BY NSEOBONG DAVID

I read a post recently on the  internet where our former Minister for Petroleum, Mr. Don Etiebiet said that the Executive Governor of this state and of course my Governor is a bastard.  At first I was ashamed at how my leaders could have misunderstandings to the extent of publicly using abusive words on one another; and I wondered what they expect me to emulate from them.  But when I looked at the other side of Etiebiet’s abuses on Governor Akpabio, I was challenged and encouraged that if Godswill Akpabio who is a bastard could become a governor today, then everyone of us could take a leaf from there and be rest assured that there is always a better future for anyone who determines to succeed in life.

Don Etiebiet’s assertion reminds me of Joseph and Queen Esther in the Bible.  These were people that were written off as far as societal relevance was concerned, but through divine favour, they were sought out and made as personalities to be reckoned with; and their past could not follow them to their greatness
It may be true that Godswill Akpabio was a bastard, but he refused to let his “bastard” status to deter him from making it to becoming a Governor who he is now.  “The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong…nor does wealth (Governorship) to the brilliant or favour to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.  If power was through circumstances at birth, I don’t think Godswill Akpabio would have been a governor (going by the assertion that he was (is) a bastard) but just because God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; and the weak things of the world to shame the strong.  He decided to choose Godswill Akpabio out of his humble, bastard background and exalt him to the Hilltop Mansion where people like Don Etiebiet do not have any option but call him “His Excellency”.

Just like Joseph whom the brothers had no option that to bow down and worship him as the Prime Minister of Egypt, Mr. Don Etiebiet has no option but to be subject to the “bastard” – made Governor Godswill Akpabio whose background could not have a hold on his way to greatness.

I would write more and more but I must pause here and say that no matter your condition, refuse to settle on mediocrity, learn from Governor Godswill Akpabio that even if you are a bastard, an orphan, etc., do not allow your present situation to limit you from getting to the top.  It only takes a minute to change your life/situation.

Thank you His Excellency, Chief Dr. Godswill Akpabio for this great lesson/challenge you have made me to learn from your being a “bastard”; for I am confident that if as a bastard you could become a Governor, whom “rich men from birth” are now subject to, me too can be great in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment