Thursday 3 September 2015

Martial: It’s normal that Rooney does not know me

Martial: It’s normal that Rooney does not know me
Morgan Schneiderlin revealed that he was asked about the 19-year-old by the Manchester United captain prior to the striker’s €80 million (£59m) arrival from Monaco
New Manchester United signing Anthony Martial insists it’s “normal” to hear that Wayne Rooney does not know who he is.

Morgan Schneiderlin revealed that the United captain asked about the 19-year-old, who became the world’s most-expensive teenager on deadline day after joining from Monaco in a deal that could eventually be worth up to €80 million (£59m).

“It’s normal that he [Rooney] does not know me,” Martial told reporters.


“I have not played in Ligue 1 a lot and this is the first time I’m in the France team. But I’m happy to go there. He is a great player and I will progress a lot with him.

“I don’t know if I’m worth €80 million. I do not think about the amounts. The amount is between the two clubs. I do not put myself under particular pressure. 

“Sure it’s crazy enough for a player of my age. This is the football market and I can not help it, it’s between the two clubs. I try to ignore and concentrate only on the field.”

Martial has also held talks with Louis van Gaal about his preferred role in attack.
“He asked me what position I prefer playing. I replied in the middle but he told me I could play in several positions,” said the forward.

“I’m available to the coach and to give the best in any position.”  Martial also insists that he has not damaged his chances of being in the France squad for next summer’s European Championship.

“I have greater visibility and if I play like I know to do, there is no reason why it goes wrong,” said the striker.

“The Euros? I hope I can go. It’s up to me to perform well. Many young players have already gone to large clubs. It went well for some, less for others. It is a great challenge for me and I’m ready.

“I have received advice from Morgan Schneiderlin who told me that it was a very good club. It was well discussed and it will help me a lot there. €80 million? Nobody told me about the price. 

They [France team-mates] just congratulated me for the signing and told me not to lose my head.”

No comments:

Post a Comment