Thursday 24 March 2016

Udom, Elizabeth Obot, Her Son and ICT in Akwa Ibom State

I will revive Akwa Ibom State’s image on Digital platforms- Solomon Eyo
Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Science and Technology Dr. Mrs Elizabeth Obot in a warm handshake with Solomon Eyo, S.A to the Governor on ICT
Relegating the joy of fatherhood, I rushed out to meet the commissioner as the appointment was fixed before the birth of another great son of the Nsekpong’s dynasty.  After our last discussion, it was glaring that the Commissioner for Information, Hon. Aniekan Umanah was one of the machineries truncating the effort of the Ministry of Science and Technology.  This was because “he has refused to speak to the governor to put in money for the ministry”, as posited by the Science and Technology Commissioner. Our last meeting had almost ended in fiasco as I urged the commissioner to resign her appointment if she was bereft of ideas. 

“The problem before us now is not buying of technology but the creation of our own for intermediate sales while deepening our knowledge in the sector”, I had argued.  She had informed me of her desire to setup ICT Centres in at least three locations in the state. I disputed the conventionality of such idea since it will also amount to wastages in ‘buying’ computers and the corresponding softwares to be installed unless the ministry leadership is planning to patronise hackers. I hit the road and flagged down the approaching cab, thank God for the good roads, I’ll be in Uyo in a jiffy. 
The hack initialised the cab and I drifted into a long thought of my encounter with the Commissioner for Science and Technology since the inception of this administration. I had introduced myself to the commissioner stressing my new role in educating the public on what Information Technology is all about. This I stressed, was aimed at preparing the minds of the masses to consume various ICT products expected to be churned out of the ministry courtesy the visionary leadership of the Udom Emmanuel’s administration.  Therefore, IT Matters will be a platform where I will use in informing and educating the public on how to use the various applications to be developed, sold and distributed by the ministry. I was sure of the governor’s understanding of the Information Technology Sector owing to his antecedent in the banking industry and the role this sector plays thereof if only the commissioner had capable aides to guide her through. 

“I am just a medical doctor”, the commissioner confessed. “I don’t know anything about Information Technology”, she added.  Now the ethnic emotions that had almost replaced my reasoning gave way to an awkward feeling.  “Then madam you need an assistant in this direction since Information Technology products is the most consumed products seeing the rate of its importation” I said afraid of  being misinterpreted. “Yes I will send you to my son, he is in the e-library” she said as she pulled out a piece of paper from the drawer. “Ubong Obotis the name” she said as she scripted his number on the pad, I watch with less admiration. “This must have been one of the ICT gurus Godswill Akpabio sent to India for training”, I thought as I collected the sheet, preparing to embark on the journey that will change the history of Information Technology in the state. Now, at least the commissioner has referred me to a professional who I was sure by the end of our first meeting software will be underway. 

At the counter I was told the young man was not on seat.  While trying to introduce myself to the girl at the counter, she pointed to the guy approaching and informed that he was the guy I was looking for. The young man approached, looking rather feminine at his mid-twenties than a smart IT guy I was preparing to meet. “Hello, Ubong Nsekpong is my name”, I went on reeling my qualifications in some seconds and concluding with Publisher, IT Matters. “My Mom sent you to me?” the young man queried. “No, Yes” I answered not quite sure who the Mum was. 

“The Commissioner for Science and Technology sent me to you”, I informed reaching out to my phone, I dialled his number for confirmation. His phone rang and I confirmed the dude. 

“Java is an out-dated software” the chap responded after listening to my ideas. Initially I thought it was one of those pranks by professionals to see how knowledgeable you are in the field. Ordinarily no professional would refer to Java as just ‘a software’. The list they speak of Java is a language when there is no need to stress its definition as a Technology. 

“Hahaha not a software Boss, a Technology” I said indicating the importance of the word Technology. “Yes I mean the software, no the Technology, it is out-dated”, he affirmed his ignorance. I lean back on the arm chair the library has provided for his visitors as I try to hide my initial frustration of entering a one chance bus with the Commissioner’s son who seemed more ignorant than the mother. Suppressing all form of anger, I went through my profile again and informed the guy that the Institute of Electrical Electronics Engineers has recommended Java as the number one language that should be studied by prospective Software Engineers and Programmers in recent times. Infact, presently, Java is in everything. 

I left the office rather more frustrated than when I met with the Commissioner.  The mother had out rightly acknowledged that she was a complete novice in this sector. But now with the son initially claiming a guru in a field I was quite sure from his conversation he knew nothing about, the future of the industry was worse than I had thought when I left the Commissioner.  The peak of my frustration was when the lad told me to go create a software demo for sighting by the mother. “What?” I had asked. “Do you know what building a software entails?”  After lecturing the chap on Software Engineering as a professional course and the bug of building a software, he had advised that I go and download a sample. I called it a day and wondered why the mother had chosen him as her Special Assistant when he knows nothing of the ICT Sector.

Why did the commissioner choose her son as a Personal Assistant in ICT when she knows that the son knows nothing about the basics of the technology? Why is the governor not monitoring the progresses of this vital ministry even when he has acknowledged on several forums that Information Technology is a key to our economic survival? 9 months into this administration the ministry of Science and Technology is yet to produce one new thing that is saleable even as the commissioner keeps complaining that the governor is not funding ministry. At some point she had said that Aniekan Umanah, the Information Commissioner has refused to talk to the governor so that he can release funds into the ministry. I kept wondering if all commissioners are not the same in the Udom Emmanuel’s cabinet. Why do an Ibibio commissioner whose ministry is capable of churning out millions if not billions of naira be begging their annang counterparts to speak to the governor on their behalf.

The above thought was truncated by a friend who joined the cab.  I quickly let go of my thoughts about the Ministry of Science and Technology and engaged with the friend who quickly went into a session of enquiries about other friends and relatives.  With revelations made over the last six months of my encounter with the commissioner, I am forced to query the authority of the Holy Spirit that prompted the governor (as he claims), in the choice of his cabinet members where Dr. Mrs. Obot is a member. It is very necessary for the governor to open up to that Spirit again so that he will see the need to appoint competent hands to assist those the Spirit had erroneously chosen previously. 

The commissioner should see the task of reviving the ministry as part of the Udom Emmanuel’s dream of industrialising the state than an opportunity to secure her son’s future. After all, in serving a public office, it is always the state first before personal interest. The space is just not enough for more details of my encounter with the Commissioner and Her son, I only pray God you follow this space as more revelations will come your way anytime soon. Stay tuned and thank you for your time.  

BUbong Nsekpong

No comments:

Post a Comment